Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dad Steps Up


I was almost an adult when I noticed that there was only 6 months between my parents' anniversary and my birthday. It just never mattered enough for me to do the math I guess. Maybe my mom actually told me--I can't remember really. Either way, it didn't matter--I just found it interesting.

In a manner of speaking, I was the reason for my brothers' and sisters' existence. Had my mom not become pregnant they may never have stayed together, who knows? I was born one month after my dad's 18th birthday, and 2 weeks after my mom's 17th. I'm sure mom's parents were very displeased about the whole thing, but you have to at least consider that because they were young when it all took place it could have turned out very differently than it did. Given dad's broken childhood he could have easily opted to just shrug his shoulders and move on, or "duck and hide" so to speak. I'd like to think instead that his lack of a good childhood was actually the reason he didn't. He must have had a burning desire to actually have a family that behaved as a family. I'm glad that he stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for what had happened because the two of them eventually did end up creating a pretty good family.  There was only one sure-fire way to instantly have enough income and insurance to cover your family:  Join the military.  That's what he did.  He did four years in the Air Force, all served at Pope Air Force Base in North Carolina.  He managed to get our family off to a decent start.

I've never known anyone that had parents that are both only children like mine are. That meant that me and my brothers and sisters are completely without of aunts or uncles. It's the same with cousins--we have no first cousins. It seems weird to have so many members of the family (almost all of which are from mom's side) and have no cousins, aunts, or uncles. Maybe that fact as played a part in installing this sense of independence that myself and my siblings all seem to possess. None of us seem to be the least bit concerned about what any others of us are ever doing. Even though most of us live in the same area we seldom see each other. While it seems weird to me when compared to other families, I'm totally okay with it. I like my privacy.

No comments: