Monday, May 23, 2016

Random Remembering

It's funny how things--random things--pop into my mind for no apparent reason. One evening I was sitting in the hot tub, staring up at the dark sky and thinking of nothing in particular. All of a sudden I flashed back to a movie I watched back when I was in the Air Force.

It was 1974 and I was in Biloxi, Mississippi, the electronics training facility for Air Force personnel. I was somewhere in the early stages of an 8-month stay. The base theater was just a short walk away, and I went to the movies as often as I could. I saw a lot of good movies and a lot of bad ones. This particular one was called It's Alive. I don't remember the details, but I believe it was the very last line spoken in the entire movie. It was the epic moment in the movie when the "regular" people had beaten the odds and won. The leading man was doing some equivalent of the symbolic wiping of the brow when his co-star got off the phone and uttered matter-of-factly,

"Another one was born in Seattle."

With perfect timing a guy down near the front of the theater wails, "Nooooo..!!"

It was perfectly hilarious, both for its comedic timing and delivery, but also for breaking the tension of the movie climax. The whole theater laughed.

I have no idea why that popped into my mind suddenly after over 40 years, but it did. I guess I just needed to share it with the world.

No comments: