Sunday, March 30, 2014

My First Job


I got my very first real job when I was young and still living in Algona.

Mom always had a chore list for us kids.  It had a place on the refrigerator, and we were supposed to read and adhere to the chore or chores next to our name.  I hated doing those chores.  I think we did get an allowance for doing them and I'm going to guess it was a quarter.  I'm not talking about chores this time though.  I'm talking about the first time someone outside the family tasked me with a responsibility and paid me for doing it.

It was way up at the north end of town at a small bank, probably 8 or 10 blocks away. It was actually a local branch of a big bank chain--I think Seattle First National Bank.  It was really nothing more than a glorified mobile home sitting in a nice parking lot. The parking lot was all new asphalt with plenty of curbing and dotted with islands of beauty bark that contained greenery. It was my job to go there every Saturday (or maybe it was Sunday--I cant remember) and water all those little islands of plant life. I can't remember if they contained flowers, shrubs, or what, but I took my job very seriously. I had to uncoil their giant water hose and snake it all around the lot, give everything a sufficient drenching, then wind the hose up when I was finished. That job netted me $10 cash a month. I was so proud! It was very exciting to actually earn pay regularly like that--much different than just working a chore list at home and getting an allowance.

That was also my first bank account.

No comments: