Monday, March 31, 2014

My History of History


When I was in school, I found history to be the most boring, monotonous, uninteresting subject in the whole curriculum. Well, other than math that is... I don't know if it was the fact that my mind was telling me, "It already happened--why are we still dwelling on it?" or maybe it was just poorly taught, but I hated it. World history or U.S. history--it didn't matter. I hated them both. The only time I found history classes to be mildly interesting was when we got to see movies in class. I've always liked seeing movies in school, or anywhere for that matter. I like to immerse myself in them. Anyway, as I was saying, I did a 180° switch on history. You know what caused me to switch?

Travel.

When I left home and started wandering around the country and the world, the subject of history "clicked" into place. There have been times when I've stood in a place where something of historical importance took place and my mind just started reeling. I've actually experienced an almost vertigo feeling as I would imagine the events unfolding right where I stood. Many times I experienced a feeling of awe as I stood where great people have stood, knowing they were people or events that changed the world. Now I love history. All I needed was to be where the history took place.

It's easy to tell when other people love it, too--the passion is evident when they are explaining it to other people. I had an instructor at Green River Community College that was smitten with history from the early area we know now as the British Isles. When he explained the finer details of the life and times of the Saxons, the Celts or the Picts, you could see and feel the passion he had for it. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he could speak Gaelic.  He was that into it. Why? Because he wanted to. He had a desire that was probably fueled by the very same thing: Being there and feeling the history around you as you stood and gazed upon a ruined structured that once stood proudly. When I stand among things like that, I feel it too.

Throughout most of life there are usually no "do-overs". When you miss out on opportunities, they seldom present you with a second chance. Fortunately, with learning and knowledge that is not the case. You can soak up the things you missed with renewed vigor. Unlike when we were students, we as adults have the ability to pursue hobbies, interests, dreams, and goals at any speed we desire.  Go travel.

Experience history.

No comments: